Osteopathy and Pregnancy Related Pelvic Girdle Pain (PRPGP)
Here at Burwood Osteo & Rehab we see a lot of women seeking treatment during pregnancy and the post-natal period.
During pregnancy, sometimes the joints of the pelvis may become inflamed and painful. This can occur as a result of:
* Changes in posture with pregnancy
* Changes in how you move throughout the day whilst pregnant
* Increased pressure throughout your pelvis and low back due to the growth of your baby
* Hormonal changes which soften the ligaments that support pelvic joints.
This can affect up to 1 in 5 pregnancies. Whist it is "common" it should not be ignored.
Symptoms include pain and discomfort with
* Going up/down stairs
* Moving from sitting to standing
* Rolling over in bed
* Getting in/out of car
* Any movements where you are on one leg ( eg. putting pants on/getting dressed)
* Pelvic pain with intercourse
If you're experiencing any of these symptoms, please mention to your healthcare professional, or feel free to contact us to discuss your treatment options. Your Burwood Osteopath will assess and determine what is causing your PRPGP. Treatment may include a combination of hands on manual therapy, education, modifications to daily activities, support garments and exercise therapy.